Yesterday, loyal reader K joined me for the Waldo Hopfest. In order for us both to enjoy the event, we took our first Uber ride. If you’re unfamiliar, you can read more about Uber. Both drivers, to and from the event, were friendly and patient with us as we asked a barrage of what I imagine are the typical questions from new Uber users. Of course, that set my mind off on what new Uber users are called. New Uber user? That’s fairly succinct, but a tad boring. N00b Ubers? That’s more likely something a 12 year old would say. I landed on N’Uber. If that hasn’t been coined yet, I’m calling dibs. If it has, then I’ll defer any “potential glory”. At least as far as Urban Dictionary goes, it hasn’t been used (although I’ve submitted my definition now). Do people still use Urban Dictionary or is there a newer site being used? Hello rabbit hole. Anyway…
What are the advantages and disadvantages of riding with Uber? Below are my N’Uber opinions, your experience may vary.
- The app was easy to navigate and request a ride.
- Pickup times are typically less than 10 minutes.
- The Uber request pulls up your maps app and you can see your driver’s picture and follow their GPS location.
- The wait time counts down until their arrival.
- If your location is uncertain, they will call the number associated with the app.
- There are plenty of promo codes available.
- The app is tied to your bank or PayPal account, so you don’t have to fuss with cash.
- The cost is cheaper than a taxi.
- Surge pricing.
- Can’t schedule a ride – on demand only.
What is Surge pricing? When ride demand outweighs the number of drivers, they enact Surge pricing to entice more drivers which can run 1.5, 2, or even 3 times the normal cost. The app will alert you when Surge pricing is in effect and will force you to enter the multiplier into the app before you can request the ride. This avoids any possible complaints about not knowing your costs.
Overall, I’d say the experience was pretty good. If any of you haven’t tried it yet, but would like to, let me know and I can send you an invite with a promo code. We’ll both get a discount.